02 October 2012
first day things
I'm still absorbing the day, so my apologies for lack of eloquence and depth. That being said, the most important part of today is the following: despite my prissy-aloofness (I guess that can be said about me), kids--at least the Spanish ones--really seem to like me. Even stranger, I actually like them. Anyway, going sequentially:
First class:
The teacher's name is Jose, class is English. Bad teeth, kind eyes, excellent sense of humor. As he introduced students to me he would lean in and give me two-three word insights into their character "clever asshole, a bit slow, cunning little shit," etc. Granted, given the fact that there are 28 students in each class and I have four different classes, the likelihood of me remembering their personalities -- let alone their names -- is slim. Though perhaps the most touching thing was, after he mentioned my name in passing once, Jose asked the class what my name was and they all chimed in immediately and said "SEH-BAHHH-NAH." It was very endearing, and I felt bad that I only remembered Pepe, the boy who spent the entirety of the lesson pretend-shooting Jose with a finger pistol. We went over basic grammar skills, something which native English speakers have difficulty understanding, and I never really considered how difficult it is to discern between "that" and "this" given that proximity is entirely relative. Anyhow, ended that class with several students giving me hugs -- felt as if I were being attacked at first -- and then my continuation on to the next classroom.
Second:
This was a science course, and the teacher already looked worn out despite the fact that it was only 10 am. She immediately told me that she was new, unsure of what to do and a single parent. On top of that, she had to teach first graders science in English -- which given the fact that first grade is the first time students are responsible for learning another language -- is quite a daunting task. As to be expected, most time was spent keeping children from trying to eat scissors and drink glue, and I really felt badly. Am going to try and put most of my efforts in here, I think. It's not really my place to say, but Carmen (that's the teacher's name) tended to shout at the students in English when they wouldn't listen, and I just don't think that's very effective teaching -- especially if you want students to associate the task of learning a second language positively. So when we were doing an activity, I would go around the room and have a positive tone of voice when they did something right -- and cement that with a GREEN smiley face or star (I've read that kids, especially young ones, are really affected by color -- red, it turns out, has negative associations even when it is used to express a job well done). Unsurprisingly, the kids kept wanting to do more and did their work more quickly and accurately, all waiting for more green marks on their papers. Some would even compare amongst themselves. After viewing that, I think I'm going to create my own green scale to differentiate between OK, good and excellent work to make them try harder. Of course, all of this could be because I'm new and they just want to impress me. Either way, I'm going to try and take advantage of that, if not just to make Carmen's day a bit easier. That's why I'm here, anyway.
Break:
From 11 am to 11:30, all faculty members have a break where they congregate en el comedor to discuss, well, whatever they want over tea, coffee, pineapple and ham. Naturally, spending cuts were the talk of the day -- and probably will be for the foreseeable future. One teacher whipped out a copy of the newest contract, which apparently stipulates that every sick day after their second will result in a 50% deduction from that day's salary. Of course, it doesn't take much critical thinking to realize that, after classroom sizes have increased substantially while teacher salaries have remained the same, teachers are more likely to be mentally and physically fatigued, resulting in a faculty more susceptible to illness. And when they get sick -- which will happen much more frequently and last longer, I believe -- they won't be able to take off due to the pay loss, which results in a mentally absent professor and less effective bilingual teaching. Which is already that much harder to do in overfilled classrooms, and makes me question the purpose of a program when current administration doesn't value the skills and livelihoods of those capable enough to potentially give them a class of well-learned, bilingual Spaniards. Just sounds like a recipe for disaster to me, and I discussed that some with faculty. The saddest part, though, is that they don't believe there's a solution.
Anyway, met the other auxiliary, and the only thing I can remember about her after twenty minutes of conversation is the color of her nails. In other words, boring.
Third class:
This woman knew what she was doing (another science course). Began it by telling all students to try and hear their desks breathing, while playing calming music to ease them into a more easily navigable learning environment. After three minutes, she had them raise their heads and then they began the lesson, which was identifying landforms and weather patterns. One thing I found interesting is that in their posterized cartoon anatomies of male and female bodies (made to resemble children), they included genitalia. The teacher taught in Utah (of course), and when she tried to pass out the cartoon copies she was told that it was inappropriate -- naturally, the woman asked why, and was informed that "it just doesn't work that way in the United States". Of course my mind got to wandering, and I wondered how the degree of exposure you have to sexual organs when you're young might have on your sexuality, opinions on sex and own sexual behaviors when you're older. And then, of course, if that could potentially be one explanation for the stark differences between the United States (hands-off, fig leafed approach to sexuality) and other Western cultures. Obviously a huge difference is Puritan-based, but anyway. Don't know how I'd necessarily research that, but I do find it intriguing.
Lunch break
This elapsed approximately two hours, I had a cheese sandwich and drank a sugar free red bull. Not very interesting.
Fourth class:
This was another English class with a young woman named Mercedes -- her English is very good, and when we discussed the other classes I had during the day, she told me that Carmen also has a lot of "bad days" and that her child, Ismael (sp?), is probably one of the worst students she's ever had. Apparently his dad is Senegalese and, well, still in Senegal and Carmen has a really difficult time managing him. So much so that Ismael has to sit next to Mercedes' desk so he stays on task. At any rate, Mercedes is very sweet and sassy and refers to the students that slack off as "empanadas" because she says their brains are stuffed with dough.
After class was over, I was approached by three different women who asked me if I would be willing to give their children private English lessons a couple times a week -- told them of course, but I'd have to get back to them on a price. I'm thinking 3-4 hours a week at 18 euros each -- which would effectively be my going out money. No harm in that.
Anyhow, just got off the phone with the Internet company -- surprise, I end up assuming most responsibilities when it comes to getting shit done in this place -- and they're coming over this week to properly install everything. For now, going to take a nap. Not editing any of this -- sorry.
by
savannah
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Viva SEH-BAHHHH-NAH!You know these kids will remember you forever, right? We had an intern teacher in fourth grade and I loved her. Still remember her name ... Miss Messmore.
ReplyDelete