17 February 2011

A couple things of note

The Spanish are incredibly friendly. Despite their history of bloody conquests with crosses both nationally and abroad, every single Spaniard I have encountered in my time here (although it's even shorter than the life expectancy of an adult house fly) has been incredibly friendly. There was Muaz, the Ecology student who also served me my first shawarma, a few Sevillanos (people from Seville) whom I met last night and gave me free tickets to hear them perform a blues jam session (they pronounced it yahm say-shon) tomorrow and asked if I would help them play Kansas' (Kahn-sauce) "Dust in the Wind" (Doost en deh whind), the local granadinos (natives of Granada) who don't judge me when I misplace an article or preposition but rather smile and tell me to continue, and then obviously the office workers in the International Relations office. Though they're paid to be friendly, so maybe it doesn't count as much. I have friends who are studying abroad in other countries and they have yet to experience this kind of warmness from the natives. I consider myself to be pretty lucky.

My roommate and I get along perfectly. We went out together again last night and had a great time. Visited four different places, three bars and one discoteca called Vogue, though here they pronounce it Vo-gay. I felt so glamorous. Tried, I think, my new favorite beer (those are words I formerly would have never put together) called Desperado. With a little lemon, I could quickly see myself with a protruding gut and yellowed skin. I think we ended up dancing until almost five in the morning (I didn't check my watch), and during that time I met a few of her friends. It's a bit sad because the friends she made last semester left this past Friday to return home, so really, she's more or less in the same boat as me. I think we may be having people over on Friday, so that could be fun. Will be hiding all of my valuables and electronics in towels and ballet flats. Despite all of this comradery, I still feel awkward using the restroom as the walls are paper thin.

No comments:

Post a Comment